I’m a musician and composer.
I play the saxophone. I’m an improvisor who primarily works within the jazz world. I have an interest in effects pedals and electronics, and an increasing interest in Ableton and MAX for Live.
“If there were a prize for forming bands with instantly distinctive sounds, Bristol-based saxophonist Jake McMurchie would surely carry it off”
I’m a website designer and developer.
I live in Bristol
I was born in south-east London, but have lived most of my life in Bristol, in the United Kingdom. I went to Henbury School and have a degree in Mathematics from Cambridge University. I’m married, have two teenage children and a dog. I occasionally play football. Badly.
Musician and composer
“If there were a prize for forming bands with instantly distinctive sounds, Bristol-based saxophonist Jake McMurchie would surely carry it off. As a key driving force behind the award-winning quartet Get The Blessing, McMurchie has moved from bass-groove to live-wire industrial loopy without dropping a beat.”
London Jazz News
“Where has he been? … a very, very good saxophonist. Very original, very passionate… a very sexy sound.”
Radio 3 Jazz Line-up
“…the inventive McMurchie, his sensual tone falling somewhere between early Sonny Rollins and Pink-Panther tenorist Plas Johnson, was a revelation.”
London Evening Standard
Featuring Mark Whitlam on drums and electronics, Will Harris on bass and Dan Messore on guitar, Michelson Morley released “Aether Drift” on the F-IRE Presents label on 28th April 2014.
“… the sparse textures and nu-groove-with-loops aspects link to post-rock aesthetic as much as they do contemporary UK jazz … more than good enough to get the blessing from Jazzwise.” Jazzwise Magazine ****
“liberating flexibilities of time and space certainly characterise McMurchie’s fine first album as a composer/leader” The Guardian
“There is really nothing like it, especially by a saxophonist … a testament to the extraordinary cohesion of the three musicians.” Listomania
This was followed in 2016 by “Strange Courage” released on the seminal Babel Label.
“It’s really imaginative contemporary music, with a hot free-jazz core”
**** John Fordham, The Guardian
“They’ve lost none of the inventiveness they displayed on their first album … really unique”
Nick Luscombe, Late Junction
Previously named The Blessing, the band I share with Pete Judge, Jim Barr and Clive Deamer.
“… the heavyweights of the contemporary jazz scene.” The Independent
GTB’s debut album All Is Yes won Album of the Year 2008 in the BBC Jazz Awards. Bugs In Amber was released in May 2009, in March 2012 we released OCDC on Naim Records, followed by Lope And Antilope in January 2014. October 2015 saw the release of our 5th record Astronautilus, also on Naim Records.
In 2018 we released Bristopia.
In 2019 we celebrated our 20th birthday.
I have my own acoustic quartet featuring Riaan Vosloo, Dan Waldman and Matt Brown. I play with Sophie Stockham’s Sefrial, Nick Malcolm’s Jade, Riann Vosloo’s Uphill Game, and with Tony Orrell’s Big Top. I have played with Portishead, Massive Attack, the National Youth Jazz Orchestra and with the great Portuguese singer Fernando Tordo at the National Theatre in Lisbon.
Past projects include What Four and Ultrasound. What Four was one of the first jazz groups to be accepted onto Yehudi Menuhin’s outreach organisation “Live Music Now!” What Four was commissioned by the Bath Festival to collaborate with contemporary dance choreographer Yael Flexer in 1997, and in 1998 was awarded the New Technology Commission by Birmingham Jazz resulting in a project entitled Synergy combining live improvisation with popular dance music, electronics, and sampling, one of the first such projects in the UK jazz scene. This was performed at Cheltenham Jazz Festival 2000 alongside the Courtney Pine Group.
Website design and development
- www.gmfreeze.org A redesign and conversion to WordPress for this excellent campaigning organisation
- www.globalforestcoalition.org Primary website for the Global Forest Coalition, available in 3 languages
- www.worldeconomicsassociation.org A network of sites to support the World Economics Association (WEA), an alternative to the modern economic orthodoxy
- www.aef.org.uk News and information site for the Aviation Environment Federation
- et.worldeconomicsassociation.org Part of the WEA network is the journal Economic Thought. This website was built using Twitter Bootstrap and the publishing system was built as a WordPress child theme with custom post-types and work-flow suitable for academic publishing
- www.threecanewhale.com Multi-instrumental, acoustic, nu-folk trio featuring Pete Judge, Alex Vann and Paul Bradley
- www.michelsonmorley.com my trio/quartet
- www.thepassionofjoanofarc.com Ground-breaking soundtrack for this masterpiece of silent cinema by Adrian Utley (Portishead) and Will Gregory (Goldfrapp)